Student places third in nation at annual crossfit games

Sophomore+Lindsey+Porter+is+at+an+intense+crossfit+practice.+Porter+placed+third+in+her+age+division+at+the+annual+Crossfit+Games.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Lindsey Porter is at an intense crossfit practice. Porter placed third in her age division at the annual Crossfit Games.

Angelina Floros

Angelina Floros

Angelina Floros

Angelina Floros, Staff Writer

In Carson, California on July 21, 2015, sophomore Lindsey Porter traveled to compete in the Annual Crossfit Games, over the course of three days in the 14 to 15 year-old girls’ Teen Division.

At only age 15, Porter has been doing crossfit for four years. “I quit gymnastics before school started last year,” said Porter. “I never had time to do it as often as I do now.” Her dad began crossfit in 2009, and she has been into it ever since.

Porter competed in The Open, which is five weeks long of training. “They give you one workout per week, and you must complete it in six days.” said Porter. “You then put your score online and see where you fall, either in your region or worldwide.” Porter was qualified in the top 10 to compete in the Games.

Porter has competed in local competitions before, but nothing close to the games.

“If you aren’t there on time, you aren’t competing,” Porter also said that it was very nerve racking seeing how strict they were and how many people were there. There are a couple other students at CCC who are somewhat involved with her gym.

“Vinny Prioli works out at my gym, Crossfit Clearwater,” said Porter. “Max Rizzo and Nick Amaro came to my gym over the summer as well.” Her friends think it’s cool and they support her.

“They say it’s too hard, so they don’t want to try it,” she said.

Porter has many motivators, too. “My main idol is Lauren Fisher, because she is one of the youngest cross-fitters to compete in the Games, let alone in the individuals.” She says that the Games are competing against the best in the world, and it’s an experience she will never forget. Porter walked away victorious in winning third place in the 14 to 15 year-old girls Teen Division.