The Central Voice

• Contact us at [email protected] to suggest a story idea.

• Join the Central Voice staff for fall semester! Contact Mr. Lauby or Andrea Medina

• Congratulations, graduating class of 2017!

Student places third in nation at annual crossfit games

Sophomore+Lindsey+Porter+is+at+an+intense+crossfit+practice.+Porter+placed+third+in+her+age+division+at+the+annual+Crossfit+Games.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Lindsey Porter is at an intense crossfit practice. Porter placed third in her age division at the annual Crossfit Games.

Angelina Floros

Angelina Floros

Angelina Floros

Angelina Floros, Staff Writer

In Carson, California on July 21, 2015, sophomore Lindsey Porter traveled to compete in the Annual Crossfit Games, over the course of three days in the 14 to 15 year-old girls’ Teen Division.

At only age 15, Porter has been doing crossfit for four years. “I quit gymnastics before school started last year,” said Porter. “I never had time to do it as often as I do now.” Her dad began crossfit in 2009, and she has been into it ever since.

Porter competed in The Open, which is five weeks long of training. “They give you one workout per week, and you must complete it in six days.” said Porter. “You then put your score online and see where you fall, either in your region or worldwide.” Porter was qualified in the top 10 to compete in the Games.

Porter has competed in local competitions before, but nothing close to the games.

“If you aren’t there on time, you aren’t competing,” Porter also said that it was very nerve racking seeing how strict they were and how many people were there. There are a couple other students at CCC who are somewhat involved with her gym.

“Vinny Prioli works out at my gym, Crossfit Clearwater,” said Porter. “Max Rizzo and Nick Amaro came to my gym over the summer as well.” Her friends think it’s cool and they support her.

“They say it’s too hard, so they don’t want to try it,” she said.

Porter has many motivators, too. “My main idol is Lauren Fisher, because she is one of the youngest cross-fitters to compete in the Games, let alone in the individuals.” She says that the Games are competing against the best in the world, and it’s an experience she will never forget. Porter walked away victorious in winning third place in the 14 to 15 year-old girls Teen Division.

10 Comments

10 Responses to “Student places third in nation at annual crossfit games”

1. Jen on January 8th, 2016 10:32 am

I think that this is a great article. I think it’s great because she’s a girl. She should continue to do what she loves,

2. DengLei on January 10th, 2016 5:36 pm

it is good, because it can exercise our body. But I think need long time to get target. I think we should to lean more, when we get good college, then go to crossfit.

3. Aleah O'Keefe on January 11th, 2016 2:13 pm

In response to the article above I find it quite incredible that at 15 years old Linsey Porter has already gotten such a high award in such a difficult sport.

4. payton on January 12th, 2016 8:51 am

I like how you compete and also go into a lot of competitions.

5. Margaret Parker on January 12th, 2016 11:41 am

Wow, that’s very impressive! Congradulations on your accomplishments. I wish you luck in future Crossfit Games!

6. Sophia Marro on January 12th, 2016 1:40 pm

I think that cross fit requires a lot of dedication and hard work. People should try it even if they are intimidated. Lindsey Porter did very well and everyone should be very proud of her.

7. DILLAN GIBBONS on January 13th, 2016 8:14 am

This is impressive, it is nice to see people is the CCC community involved in cross fit training. But it is much more impressive that she has stuck with it and is now reaping the benefits!

8. jesse on January 13th, 2016 10:05 am

That is pretty good, I like train too .that is a good way to gat strong and hearth body.

9. Cameron pruett on January 14th, 2016 8:28 am

Good job

10. Jordan on January 14th, 2016 2:25 pm

Good job at the cross fit games

All comments must adhere to the expectations set forth by the CCCHS handbook policy and are subject to authorization.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.