Different styles: Parks compared to Smith

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Jakob Parks prepares for a big game. Parks is a great leader and player.

Brandon Boudreau

Brandon Boudreau

Brandon Boudreau

Brandon Boudreau, Staff Writer

A loud voice booms over the field as the offense gets set. Jakob Parks starts his cadence. Go. Set. Hut. The ball is snapped back to Parks, and he begins his drop. He quickly looks through his options and finds his open man. He leads his receiver perfectly and delivers a strike in the end zone. Touchdown.

During the first half of the season, we have seen five of these plays from Parks. There has been five touchdowns from his arm, and he has also reached the end zone with his legs one time. These mid-season stats make clear something that any football fan could see by watching high school football the past two years – the difference between Jeff Smith and Jakob Parks.

No, not a difference in skill level, but in style of play. It’s hard to respectfully compare at mid-season, but Parks’ five passing and one rushing touchdown greatly differ from fifteen passing and nineteen rushing we saw from Smith’s entire season last year.

“Jeff was considered a dual-threat quarterback because of his speed and mobility to extend plays with his legs,” said Parks. “I’m considered a pro-style quarterback and I’m really meant to stay in the pocket and let my arm do the job.”

Jeff Smith, Class of 2015, was not only one of the most talented players to come through CCC, but also one of the most admired as a leader and friend. Smith left for Boston College after his senior year to play Division I football.

Parks, a sophomore at the time and junior currently, was able to learn under Smith last year, and it helped him greatly. “I learned to relax when things go wrong,” said Parks. “When adversity hits, Jeff showed me how to respond the right way.”

As Parks stepped in as the starter this year, the team had to get accustomed to a new quarterback and leader. “Jake has really been a vocal leader on and off the field and a role model to some of the younger kids,” said senior Will Spelman.

With Smith and a great number of other seniors graduating last year, the team has had to look to younger players to play a role in the team. They have been successful so far, starting the season with five wins and a zero in the loss column.

Thanks to Parks and other leaders, the team has been winning even with a young roster, which some teams struggle to do. The tough schedule that they play makes it even more difficult and impressive that the young team has been so dominant.