Football legacy formed by star athletes

Back to Article
Back to Article

Football legacy formed by star athletes

Junior CJ Cotman gets ready to dominate on the football field. Corman is on his way to being a five star athlete.

Ryan Cullinane

Ryan Cullinane

Ryan Cullinane

Ryan Cullinane, Editor

Junior C.J. Cotman has been turning heads from across the nation since he started playing at the high school level.

Even when he started playing as a freshman, he received praise from football analysts across the country, with even Tampa Bay Hometeam saying, “CCC is not a school that typically hits the combine or 7-on-7 circuit hard, but this freshman has the kind of skill set that sets both abuzz.”

He started to receive college attention that same year, and since has been named the 215th best football player in the nation in the Class of 2017 and given a four out of five star recruiting ranking by ESPN.

He says all men are created equal, but some just work harder in the pre-season.

“The only thing that keeps pushing me each and every day is my determination and my ambition to get to the top so I can get my family straight and give back to my community,” said Cotman.

Class of 2015 alumnus Jeff Smith didn’t have the same start to his career that Cotman did. Smith, as a sophomore, would go into games at quarterback when a change of pace was needed, and also provided another dimension as a running threat. It wasn’t until his junior year that he took over the starting position, led the team to a state championship game, an 11-3 record and picked up his first college offer from Wisconsin. Learning from his previous year, during the 2014 season, Smith amassed 1,790 yards along with fourteen touchdowns and finished the year with an 11-2 record. He received offers from Akron, Army, Boston College, Indiana and Wisconsin, and now plays at Boston College.

Riley Cooper and Colin McCarthy, both graduates from the class of 2006, played in the NFL. Before Cooper went to college, he entered himself into the MLB draft, where he was selected in the fifteenth round by the Philadelphia Phillies, but declined their offer so he could play football at the University of Florida. He declared for the NFL’s draft in 2010 and was selected by the Philadelphia Eagles in the fifth round, 159th overall, and still plays for them today. McCarthy went to the University of Miami and played until 2011 when he declared for the draft. He was taken 109th overall in the fourth round by the Tennessee Titans, whom he played for until 2014, when he retired from football.

Football coach John Scargle has been able to see and instruct all of these athletes while they played in their high school careers. He said since he started coaching here, players around the county have become more athletic and versatile as the years went on. He also said if he had to give on piece of advice to future college athletes, it would have to be not getting frustrated.

“Don’t get frustrated in your first two years of college and just hang in there and keep moving forward. Every year gets better,” said Coach Scargle.

While our athletic programs continue to skyrocket, it seems as if student-athletes are continuing to take notice of what CCC has to offer them. With the production of successful football players being so high here, it seems more and more kids are coming with the hope they will be on soon.