The Central Voice

• Contact us at [email protected] to suggest a story idea.

• Join the Central Voice staff for fall semester! Contact Mr. Lauby or Andrea Medina

• Congratulations, graduating class of 2017!

Spread the Word

Andrea Medina, Editor-in-Chief

“Spread the word.”

For the most part, this phrase sounds like it should be used for the good of all people. It can be used to express that there is pertinent information that needs to be told to a particular body of people. “There is a meeting after school today. Not a lot of people know about it. Spread the word.” This is the best case scenario.

This type of communication is the basis of journalism, of reporting the facts.

Despite its intentions, the phrase “Spread the word” will also inevitably be used for the advantage of one person or party to achieve a certain goal or satisfaction. “Hey, if you tell everyone about this, ‘X’ will happen. Spread the word.”

Of course, this will not always be the exact wording, but the idea has been expressed.

It can be observed, especially through the use of social media, but also through the word of mouth, that word spreads fast. Just to put it in the school setting, students can probably think of a time where a particular event has happened, and by the time the bell rings to go to the next class, the majority of the school body knows what occurred not so long ago.

Just like in the game of telephone, even something with the best-sounding intentions can, willingly or unwillingly, be twisted into something that is nothing close to the original at the “end of the line.”

Although this is not true of all people, some people believe all of what is told to them, which can lead for misinformation to be spread, further corrupting the original message.

For the people that do not fit this category, they might consult a “trusted source” and spread the word from that outlet of information, causing a confusion of information.

Especially when it comes to the safety of others, when the phrase “Spread the word” gets used  incorrectly, morally speaking, just to serve a selfish purpose, it becomes a problem. Spreading a false idea that affects the safety of others has the potential to affect a body of people that is much bigger than what was originally intended, for better or for worse.

It might be “fun” to twist facts or situations into something they are not in the short term, but when the actual truth is revealed, someone is going to have to take the blame for it, and everyone else’s trust in them has the potential to shatter. A party must ask oneself, “Is it worth it?”

Before spreading false information, consider its implications and consequences. Spread the word. Be a good person.