The Central Voice

• Contact us at [email protected] to suggest a story idea.

• Join the Central Voice staff for fall semester! Contact Mr. Lauby or Andrea Medina

• Congratulations, graduating class of 2017!

Point-Counterpoint: Texting and driving serves as a danger to society

Caroline Brady, Staff Writer

Texting while driving has become a national epidemic for teenagers and young adults.

According to the Institute for Highway Safety Fatality Study, 11 teen deaths happen every day due to texting and driving.

Florida is one of the few states without a law against texting while driving. Recently, The Florida House passed its version of a statewide ban on texting. It passed the house on a 11-6 vote but now heads back to Senate.

This problem should be addressed. The law to ban texting and driving should be passed. Over the years, texting while driving has become one of the country’s top killers. According to an analysis at the University of North Texas 16,000 drivers were killed by cell phone use between 2001 and 2007.

Teenage drivers assume they can handle texting and driving. In this generation, teenagers and young adults are so linked with each other and the social media world, that they feel the need to answer every call or text immediately.

This causes many problems, for example, teenagers who are texting spend about 10 percent of the time outside the driving lane they’re supposed to be in.

Text messaging makes a crash up to 23 times more likely. Nearly 25% of all accidents are related to texting while driving.

Not only has social media influenced the use of cell phones among teenagers who are driving, so are the adults and parents; 48 percent of teens have seen parents or adults talking on the phone and 15 percent have seen texting while driving from parents. This gives an idea to young drivers that texting and using a cell phone while driving is durable and they are able to handle it.

The bill for texting and driving would be considered a secondary offense. Police have to first stop drivers for another offense.

Drivers should be pulled over for texting or for general cell phone use while driving. It serves as a huge distraction for drivers and could not only impact your own life but could impact another person as well. The only reasonable solution is legislation against phone use while operating a vehicle.

Caroline Brady, Staff Writer

My name is Caroline Brady and this is my first year at Clearwater Central Catholic High School. I'm a sophomore and a JV cheerleader. I transferred from...