The Central Voice

• Contact us at [email protected] to suggest a story idea.

• Join the Central Voice staff for fall semester! Contact Mr. Lauby or Andrea Medina

• Congratulations, graduating class of 2017!

Peru leadership summit

Andrea Medina, Managing Editor

Imagine a scenic view overlooking the ruins of Machu Picchu. Now imagine listening to world-renowned keynote speakers in addition to doing some meaningful service for the poor communities there. That is exactly what five students will be doing on the upcoming Peru trip on March 11-20.

Some students who had already gone on a school trip got invited to take another one. “Dr. V called me and a few other students who went on the summer Europe trip into his office and told us about the trip,” said junior Jen Spencer.

However, the Peru trip will be a little different than the Europe one. This trip will be more focused on leadership and service rather than sightseeing. “We’re not just going to passively be taking in the beauty, but we’re going there for the purpose of learning at the leadership summit and serving those who might need some help,” said junior Ellie Simmons.

Some students are really excited to learn on this trip. “I hope to gain new insights about the culture of Peru and also about what it means to be a global citizen and a leader in today’s world,” said Spencer.

“The objective for me would be to learn about all around global leadership, global economics, as well as service to the least favored,” said President Dr. John Venturella. The students and faculty going on the trip are going to be visiting different Peruvian cities such as Lima, Cuzco, and Ollantaytambo, where they will be doing service. They will reflect on that action and how that affects them and their spirituality, especially as Catholic school students.

This trip will not go without some sightseeing. The students and faculty going on the trip will visit the Incan city of Machu Picchu and all of its ruins. For one person in particular, this part of the trip might be the thing she is most looking forward to. “It’s really shallow, but I’m really excited to ride a llama at Machu Picchu,” said Simmons.

Right now, the students that go to these trips have to pay for them. Each trip averages about $4000. In the future, the school is planning to provide some financial aid. However, unfortunately this will not happen for a couple of years.

The school is hoping to continue these kinds of trips for the future. “There will be another leadership conference for technology in Germany. I certainly hope to get a nice group to that one,” said Dr. Venturella.