The Central Voice

• Contact us at [email protected] to suggest a story idea.

• Join the Central Voice staff for fall semester! Contact Mr. Lauby or Andrea Medina

• Congratulations, graduating class of 2017!

Grunge strikes again

Along+with+the+fall+season+comes+the+raging+grunge+trend.+Be+sure+to+go+to+your+nearest+mall+and+pick+up+your+favorite+flannels+for+the+upcoming+autumn+season.+
Along with the fall season comes the raging grunge trend. Be sure to go to your nearest mall and pick up your favorite flannels for the upcoming autumn season.

Natalie Morrison

Natalie Morrison

Natalie Morrison, Editor

The ’90s grunge trend is making a come back this fall into the twenty-first century fashion industry!

The once popular grunge trend in the 1990s was known as the “anti-fashion” era. The trend consisted of unusual combinations of clothes and color schemes, oversized sweaters and t-shirts and almost anything that had a ratty look to it. Sounds weird, right? In other words, it was a look that said, “I don’t care,” with a touch of edginess.

According to Shannon Bell Price, in her article “Grunge Influence in Fashion,” grunge was a term born in Seattle in the 1980s to describe a genre of music that was popular among the youth. The genre of music was based around what we call “punk rock.” It gave the youth a way to release expressions of sadness, loneliness, frustration, etc.. Later, it was used as a dual purpose to describe the fashion and music of the 1990s.

Each year, the grunge trend comes back with a little twist to it. This year, the patterns of the clothes seem to be more girly rather than tom-boyish. You can get the look at stores like Tilly’s and Pacsun. If you can’t seem to find the clothing item you want at a store, make it yourself! Head to your nearest thrift store. YouTube should give you step-by-step instructions on how to do things such as, rip your jeans or make high waisted shorts.

This trend has become very popular among the teens of this generation. Some teams have gone as far as revamping their whole style to nothing but grunge. “Flannels are life. I’m obsessed with this Falls new fashion trend. My whole closet is full of grunge outer wear and I couldn’t be happier,” said senior Cameron Perrott.

So my fellow ladies and gentlemen reading this article, get in your cars, head to your nearest mall and shop grunge.

When trying to complete your grunge look make sure you consider these ideas: 1) The more flannels, the more fabulous. 2) Ripped jeans are rad. 3) Your jewelry should not be bejeweled. 4) Uncombed hair is the new combed hair. 5) Converse go with everything. 6) Band shirts and boots are bomb. 7) Bright colors are a no. Only dark colors. 8) If it’s vintage, then its vogue. 9) Hats are a must-have. 10) Never forget to wear your “I don’t care” attitude.

7 Comments

7 Responses to “Grunge strikes again”

1. Gabi on January 8th, 2016 10:29 am

Nice!?

[Reply]

2. Jana I on January 8th, 2016 10:31 am

I agree that the “grunge” style is coming back. Every time I go to stores in the mall, I see stores filled with flannels and ripped jeans. It seems like style really does recycle itself.

[Reply]

3. Emily on January 8th, 2016 10:32 am

What a trend! This is very interesting and informative! I’m amazed at this cool “grunge” fad.

[Reply]

4. Emily on January 8th, 2016 10:33 am

What a trend! This is very nice. This article is well written. I’m amazed at this cool “grunge” fad.

[Reply]

5. Sloane Vosen on January 8th, 2016 10:33 am

This is a very well written article. This artice captures all the key articles of the new grunge trend! Glad to know the fashion trend is back.

[Reply]

6. Taylor Marzocchui on January 12th, 2016 1:10 pm

This article is very cool. I love reading about this type of stuff. I wish there were more of this type of article in places.

[Reply]

7. Gabi Villamil on January 14th, 2016 2:03 pm

This is a very informative piece. I like the descriptive word choice and how the author portrays detail! Many students can relate 🙂

[Reply]

All comments must adhere to the expectations set forth by the CCCHS handbook policy and are subject to authorization.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Grunge strikes again

News

Executive Council election brings new pool of candidates

• Entertainment

Promposals

• Grunge strikes again

Lifestyle

Two marauders take on modeling

• Grunge strikes again

Sports

Notre Dame commit is talented in more than just football

• Sports

Transfer football player back from the path of recovery

• Lifestyle

Lent

• Grunge strikes again

News

Electives for 2017-2019, Both New and Old

• Grunge strikes again

Lifestyle

Outlet stores are selling low-quality goods to consumers

• Grunge strikes again

News

• News

Advice from Mr. Edward Liddy

Grunge strikes again