New modern Cinema Night replacing former homecoming tradition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomores discuss Cinema Night ideas.

Sophomores discuss Cinema Night ideas.

Ryan Cullinane

Sophomores discuss Cinema Night ideas.

Ryan Cullinane

Ryan Cullinane

Sophomores discuss Cinema Night ideas.

Ryan Cullinane, Staff Writer

A well-kept homecoming tradition and a class challenge looked forward to by many, Skit Night, was changed to Cinema Night this year.

The basic concept of creating a skit based on the class’s chosen homecoming theme and poking fun at the other teachers and students is still intact, but it is now made in the form of a video.

The new scoring criteria are as follows: quality of video (edits and special effects), plot/storyline, appropriate and respectful content, relation to central theme, relation to class and homecoming theme, use of costumes, sets, and props, humor, respect towards other videos, and the length being under twenty minutes.

There will also be periodic due dates for the script and video itself to make sure the classes have appropriate content and are using the time given wisely.

As this is a big change to the way classes participate for homecoming, a good reason for the change backs it up.

“The main reason behind the change was mostly that we wanted to have more people included. The mandatory skit rehearsal night on Tuesdays was always after-school, and a lot of athletes weren’t able to make the mandatory skit rehearsal,” said Kira Garland, student council moderator. She goes on to say that it is better for sentimental value, as you can go back and watch the video made instead of going solely off of memory.

Executive council vice president, Brandon Cote, likes the change and is hoping other students will, as well.

“I think we’ve gotten a lot of people on board because of the early deadlines, so the students are starting to see the upside to it and are looking forward to seeing the other classes’ videos,” said Cote.

Although the student body may not have liked such a drastic change, now that it’s being put into motion, they see why it’s a good change and are growing accustomed to it.

Some of the new freshmen seem to support the idea. Freshman Tripp Robinson is one of those who are open to the change.

“I’m looking forward to doing it with my other classmates because it seems fun and an opportunity to meet new people, as well as help our class win homecoming,” said Robinson.

He does acknowledge some of the flaws with it, though. “It could be challenging to find someone who can record and edit our video since we all still don’t know each other too well,” said Robinson.

Since Skit Night was such a successful class competition in bringing the classes together with the common goal of beating out all the other classes, it is hoped that Cinema Night does the same. It has its perks as well as its flaws, but it still brings the classes to enjoy their short time together as one in the hope that memories are made and last a lifetime.