The Central Voice

• Contact us at [email protected] to suggest a story idea.

• Join the Central Voice staff for fall semester! Contact Mr. Lauby or Andrea Medina

• Congratulations, graduating class of 2017!

Long awaited Dolphin Tale inspires

Morgan Freeman and Harry Connick Jr. both star in the film.

Ben Kieler, Staff Writer

Dolphin Tale can’t help but inspire as it celebrates the true heart-warming tale of Winter the bottle nosed dolphin that resides at the local attraction, Clearwater Marine Aquarium.

On his way home from school, a young boy finds a dying dolphin washed up on the beach, tangled in fishing line.  The boy calls an animal rescue team, which comes to save the dolphin.  When the tail of the dolphin has to be amputated, it surprises everyone by not only surviving, but living to become a national inspiration to disabled people.

Based on an inspiring true story, Dolphin Tale tells the story of Sawyer (Nathan Gamble), a boy who finds a friend in Winter, the disabled dolphin.

The story takes place and was filmed in Clearwater, Florida, mainly at Clearwater Marine Aquarium, where the dolphin is taken for rehabilitation.  While taking care of Winter, Sawyer becomes good friends with Hazel (Cozi Zuehlsdorff), a young girl working at the aquarium, and her father, Clay Haskett (Harry Connick Jr.).

Sawyer meets Dr. McCarthy (Morgan Freeman) who helps Winter in a big way by attempting the seemingly impossible task of building a prosthetic tail for a dolphin. 

CCC junior Winston Chiriaco plays a part in the movie.  He plays a swimmer who is friends with Sawyer’s cousin, Kyle Connellan (Austin Stowell).  

“It was very interesting to see all the equipment and tools they used to make a movie,” Chiriaco said about working on the set of Dolphin Tale.  “Also very tense since I didn’t know exactly what to do all the time,” he said.

17 Comments

17 Responses to “Long awaited Dolphin Tale inspires”

1. David Campbell on October 3rd, 2011 7:08 pm

Harry Connick Jr. is a great actor and this movie looks amazing. The fact that some of the swim team got to be in it is soooooooooooooooooo cool. Harry Connick Jr. will do a fabulous job with this movie just like he does with his music. He’s sooooooooooooo talented. Go Mr. Connick!

2. Kaitlin Parker on October 4th, 2011 3:05 pm

I think its really cool how we have had a movie filmed so close and it gave teenagers at our school to show off their talents. I have not seen it yet, but I bet its very good!

3. Justin Goodloe on October 5th, 2011 4:47 pm

excited to see this movie. its pretty cool to know someone in a movie, especially a movie with Morgan Freeman

4. Nick Abbott on October 5th, 2011 6:16 pm

I think this is really interesting because it was shot so close to where we live, in the Clearwater Marine Aquariom. I’m actually in the movie as an extra and have volunteered for many years here. Go Winter!

5. Maria Pensabene on October 5th, 2011 7:12 pm

I thought it was really cool the fact that all of this went on right where we live. I’ve been to that aquarium a million times.

6. Joe Rivenbark on October 5th, 2011 8:15 pm

I like this article. Ive seen Winter the dolphin before but I have not seen the movie. Winston is lucky to be able to meet Winter. I am extremly jealous.

7. Jessica Mitchell on October 5th, 2011 8:56 pm

The swim team has been excited for this. I want to see it because it was taken close by.

8. Robby Papadopoulos on October 5th, 2011 9:15 pm

I find this article very interesting because not only did it happen in Clearwater but a student from CCC was in the movie.

9. Arthur Czaicki on October 6th, 2011 6:24 am

I really regret not being in this movie when i got the chance, it was crazy when i saw Winston and Eric in the background. Overall the movie was a lot better then i expected

10. Chris Mullan on October 6th, 2011 6:27 am

This article is very informative and it is pretty cool how a kid that attends CCC was in a movie.

11. Chris Baccari on October 6th, 2011 3:53 pm

I knew the movie was shot locally but I had no idea how involved CCC was. So many people being extra’s and the swim team being part is amazing. I think this could really bring the CCC community together.

12. Sabrina Sosa on October 6th, 2011 4:19 pm

That’ so cool that one of my peers had a part in a top ranked movie.

13. JJ Moskalczyk on October 6th, 2011 7:09 pm

It is cool to see ccc students in the movie. Great job guys!

14. Paul DelPrete on October 6th, 2011 7:53 pm

This is crazy that so many of my friends are in the movie. Im very excited to see people i actually know on the big screen!

15. Michael Sakellarides on October 6th, 2011 8:34 pm

I think that it is really cool how a lot of the CCC community was so involved in this movie. I know that last years graduates and also freshmen had good roles in the movie as well. Im glad that now people will know where Clearwater, Fl is because of this movie.

16. Jessica Kuzio on October 6th, 2011 11:15 pm

I’m actually looking forward to seeing the movie.

17. Samantha Spoto on November 2nd, 2011 6:50 pm

I saw the movie last month, it was really good!! It was cool to see things on clearwater beach that were recognizable. Great message to viewers

All comments must adhere to the expectations set forth by the CCCHS handbook policy and are subject to authorization.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Long awaited Dolphin Tale inspires