The Central Voice

• Contact us at [email protected] to suggest a story idea.

• Join the Central Voice staff for fall semester! Contact Mr. Lauby or Andrea Medina

• Congratulations, graduating class of 2017!

Transfer football player back from the path of recovery

Ryan Cullinane, Editor-in-Chief

For sophomore Rory Hicks, football has always been a part of him. “My older brother Robby played quarterback and he kind of inspired me to take that path,” said Hicks.

Rory started at Countryside High School in August of 2015. He started at quarterback for the JV team and immediately impacted their season. During his sophomore year, he played in eight games, completing 24 of his 45 passes, and accumulated 424 yards and two touchdowns.

However, during their week nine game, Hicks was sacked at an awkward angle and snapped his ankle. He was immediately taken to the hospital and treated. He went under rehab for a few months before even being able to walk on his leg again.

During that time, Hicks had a lot of time to think. “Looking back, I just thought a lot about what was right for myself academically and for my football career and I think that CCC just made a lot more sense than staying in my current situation. I went to middle school with a lot of the people here and the football program here has a great reputation with great players and even better coaches, and I think I made the right decision for myself,” said Hicks.

With senior Jakob Parks off to the University of South Dakota to play for the Coyotes, there is an opening at quarterback Hicks hopes to take. “I think since I’ve been able to start playing again, I’ve made good strides in my game and I’m starting to feel more confident and smarter with the football,” said Hicks.

Hicks transferred in the middle of February, not at the start of the second semester. Since he came then instead of waiting until the start of next school year, this allows him to start playing for the team at the start of the fall season, as opposed to sitting out for the whole season due to FHSAA rules. “I can’t wait to start next season and get started playing for CCC,” said Hicks.