The Central Voice

• Juniors and sophomores tie for second in Central Olympics

• Senior Alex Prunoske wins wrestling region, advances to state tournament

• Seniors win Central Olympics

Notre Dame commit is talented in more than just football

Senior Dillan Gibbons prepares for another competition by drinking the jug of water he requires of himself each day leading up to it.

Ryan Cullinane, Editor

The meat sweats start dripping down Dillan’s face as he takes another bite of Tampa restaurant The Eats’ infamous three pound burger. Five minutes remain of the usual thirty given. He looks over at the reporter, also trying to take down the ginormous burger, but had already given up.

Gibbons reaches down to grab his go to sauce, A1, to top off his bite. He goes in for another, but can feel his stomach filling up.

Senior Dillan Gibbons has always been physically taller and bigger than most other people in his grade. “When I was younger, I never thought of myself as that much bigger than everyone else. But I for sure was,” said Gibbons. His size lead him to being a well recruited football player, and now is committed to the University of Notre Dame.

His size not only lead helped him become a high caliber football player, but also a food eating competitor. Gibbons participated in his first eating competition in the spring of last year. “My first one was the Skyline Chili Coney eating contest. I ate fourteen and a half in twelve minutes, and I won out of a group of 30 hungry grown men,” said Gibbons.

Even though Gibbons is an elite football player, the eating challenges never seem to get in the way of his craft. “They don’t really positively or negatively affect me, the challenges are just a second hobby I have. Since I play outside tackle and defensive line, the players usually are tall, big guys. They help me make sure I’m not losing too much weight,” said Gibbons.

He puts the final patty down and looks to see at the clock. With less than two minutes to go, he shifts his gaze over to the plate of fries and half patty left. He starts with his final patty that remains from the burger and finishes that. His stomach is telling him to stop, but his brain is telling him to keep going.

He chooses the ladder.

To prepare, Gibbons makes sure he drinks two gallons of water every day until the event. By doing this, he is able to expand his stomach to eat more than he normally would be able to otherwise.

Stephen Nelson, the Bleacher Report reporter participating in the challenge with Gibbons, contacted Gibbons through Twitter’s direct messages. “At first I wasn’t sure if he was serious, but sure enough, he genuinely wanted to do one with me and film it, so I had to take that opportunity,” said Gibbons.

As the timer ticks its final seconds, Dillan finishes the last of his fries, but not the last of the buns, lettuce, and onions. He shoves all of it in his mouth at once as the buzzer sounds and looks over at the reporter and laugh.

Nelson asks how Gibbons thought he did, and responds “I thought I did okay, better than I thought I would but still I didn’t finish it.

But I’ll be back.”