The Central Voice

• Juniors and sophomores tie for second in Central Olympics

• Senior Alex Prunoske wins wrestling region, advances to state tournament

• Seniors win Central Olympics

Valentine’s Day don’ts

Amanda Restaino, Editor

As February 14, Valentine’s Day, nears closer and closer, questions continue to rise. Where should you take your date? How much should you be willing to spend? What should you buy as a gift? One of the most popular questions is, what should you do if you are single??? Well, it is pretty hard to try and answer these questions as a girl that has never been on a date on Valentine’s Day and only about three throughout my 18 years of existence. Instead, let’s talk about what not to do.

First, do not take your date to a restaurant where everything on the menu is ridiculously expensive, like that $15 salad with three pieces of lettuce. I mean, yeah, a nice meal is cool, but we are in high school, and I don’t know about you, but I need money for gas, food, the occasional mall day and college. Maybe instead of going to a restaurant, the movies, the beach or any of the other typical dates, have a picnic in the park or go roller skating or dancing. Just try to make it about enjoying each other’s company. That means a whole lot more than some fancy schmancy steakhouse.

Second, the gift. You know what, I get it, I really do. Presents are fun. It is nice when you get something awesome like a diamond necklace or for the guys, tickets to your favorite team’s game. However, why have gifts and the date become the most important part of the day of love? It is about love, not stupid materials that are pretty, but mean nothing. It is about the person who gives you the gift. I get that I probably sound so anti-presents. Well, no. I love presents! Yet I do not treat the gift like it has some beautiful hidden meaning, like “Oh, Bob bought me a Pandora ring, so he obviously loves me.” I think a boy being nice to me and wanting to spend time with me is a lot more important than a present.

Now, the third thing is my absolute favorite: what to do as a single person, like me. Do not forget, Valentine’s Day is simply about love. You do not need a boyfriend or girlfriend to celebrate. Do not sit on that heavenly couch with those delicious Russel Stover Chocolates while watching some sappy movie like The Notebook. Call up your other single friends and go out!

Either way, there is something to do on Valentine’s Day, no matter who you are. So, choose something and just do it! But, hey, at the end of the day, you do you. This being said, if sitting at home eating the chocolates from the heart-shaped box you bought for yourself is what you want to do, then do it. If you want to spend hundreds of dollars on gifts and the date, do it. Do not forget what it is all really about, though, because at the end of the day, love is what really matters.