The Central Voice

• Juniors and sophomores tie for second in Central Olympics

• Senior Alex Prunoske wins wrestling region, advances to state tournament

• Seniors win Central Olympics

Advice from Mr. Edward Liddy

Andrea Medina, Managing Editor

“The Clearwater Central Catholic High School distinguished alumni award was created . . . to honor, pay tribute to, and perpetuate the memory of those individuals who have made outstanding contributions pertaining to the school’s four core values, ” President Dr. Venturella said. As Mr. Edward Liddy walked up to the stage, the students and staff responded with a resounding round of applause.
Liddy was one of the students of the very first graduating class of Clearwater Central Catholic. As a student, Liddy participated in a variety of extracurricular activities such as football, baseball, and basketball. After high school, he went on to pursue a higher education at George Washington University and the Catholic University of America.
As a successful businessman, he served as a leader of various well known companies such as Sears and Allstate. He was such a good businessman that he was invited by the U.S. Government to be the temporary American International Group CEO only six months after retiring. He is now retired again, and is a trustee of many different schools and other Organizations.
In his recent visit to the school, Liddy gave some sound advice to the students. He said to “always keep good morals at the center of all that one does”. Without them, it is very hard to accomplish something of value. “Do the right thing, do it at the right time, and do it in the right way,” said Liddy.
Much of his speech consisted of taking control of one’s life. “You are responsible for you. Sometimes you can’t control what happens to you. But you can control what you do about it,” said Liddy. He touched on the fact that life is hard, but it can become much harder if one does actions that he or she probably should not do. It all came down to one point: respect. Respect oneself, and everyone that he or she may meet.
The second part of Liddy’s speech was advice geared towards the future of the students. He urged to always have a plan. “Life favors those people who are prepared. There is no substitute for hard work. If you work hard, you have a greater chance to determine what the outcome of something is,” said Liddy. He ended his speech to the school community by advising that one should take careful risks in order to embrace and control change itself.
After the school assembly, Liddy visited the IB Business class to talk to the students more in depth about his career. “It was intimidating at first but it was nice to be able to talk with him in a more personal environment,” said junior Jaeger Trafton. The students appreciated his advice, especially after seeing how successful he was in his own life.