The Central Voice

• Juniors and sophomores tie for second in Central Olympics

• Senior Alex Prunoske wins wrestling region, advances to state tournament

• Seniors win Central Olympics

CCC community responds to first presidential debate

Kaylee Dris, Editor

Imagine 84 million people, surrounded by their televisions, holding their breath, just waiting for what comes next. This is history, and it was made on Sep. 27 in America, Hofstra University to be specific. The first presidential debate between Republican candidate Donald Trump, and Democrat Hillary Clinton was in full force, being the most viewed debate to ever take place.

The eyes of the viewers were glued to the screens. “I watched it because I couldn’t look away,” IB coordinator Alan Hamacher said. The topic of discussions included America’s direction, achieving prosperity, and securing America. With strong opinions, before him, CNN reporter Lester Holt hosted the debate by asking each question. “Lester is the man,” senior Alex Purnoske said. There is no doubt Holt struggled when trying to get past the murmur of argues coming from both microphones at almost every moment. Although some found the debate humorous, or as senior Jessica White saw it, “similar to reality TV,” there are real worries about these candidates. Mr. Andy Shannon, teacher and Director of Campus Ministry, also voiced his concerns. “I watched about an hour and I’m concerned. I want civil discourse and what us to respect each other. We tend to throw grenades at each and it concerns me,” said Mr. Shannon.

When it comes to debating, preparation is key, especially when there are millions of people watching. According to The Huffington Post, a poll states that 77% of citizens thought Clinton was well prepared, while only 27% of the votes stated Trump was. While this is a popular belief, many thought Donald Trump’s retort remarks were more telling. “I feel that Donald Trump really got under Hillary’s skin, but it was more of a comedy show than a presidential debate,” senior Riley Robinson said.

So what is the point of a presidential debate anyway? It is not for the candidates to simply argue and take each other down, but rather for the citizens to understand who is trying to run their country. “Although I will not be able to vote, it was very interesting to see what the candidates had to say,” said freshman Nina Pantazes.

In all, the first presidential debate can be deemed successful or unsuccessful, depending on ones own personal opinion. Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are two wise, eclectic characters that each offer something very different. Whether you are looking to “make America great again” or not, watching presidential debates seem to have something for everyone; or for at least for 84 million citizens of the United States.