The Central Voice

• Juniors and sophomores tie for second in Central Olympics

• Senior Alex Prunoske wins wrestling region, advances to state tournament

• Seniors win Central Olympics

Full Impact of Dazzlement

Emily Berg, Editor

Sing the whole night away when watching the romantic movie La La Land. La La Land is written and directed by Damien Chazelle, who has previously directed Whiplash. A lot of people find old musicals corny or quaint. La La Land dives into the lavish musical with a movie full of starry nights and street lamps lighting up the innocence of a soft-shoe romance.La La Land creates a modern spin on a musical, making it relatable to people trying to fulfill their hopes and dreams. “Even though it is set in modern day, it still feels like you are looking back in time because of the set and costume designs,” said Senior Gianna Krieger

La La Land is set in contemporary Los Angeles, but its heart and soul are rooted in the past, and so are its characters. Sebastian, played by Ryan Gosling, is a sleek jazz pianist who’s a cranky traditionalist about what he listens to, what he plays, and where he plays it. Mia, played by Emma Stone, is an aspiring actress and playwright. She works as a barista on the Warner Bros. lot and is always cutting out of work to get to auditions. These two meet, scuffle, and fall in love. Their love and dreams blossom through a series of song-and-dance numbers composed by Justin Hurwitz that are shocking in their catchy old-fashioned beauty. Senior Ally Ivanov said, “The music was unique incorporating jazz into their songs as well as putting a modern spin on jazz itself!”

La La Land is such a passionate movie of dreams that you will leave the theater with tears in your eyes. La La Land has 214 nominations and has 144 wins so far, including having won seven Golden Globes and being nominated for 14 Oscars.The director teases you a bit by pulling at your heart strings from the very beginning. It is an ending you will never forget making you rethink what affect people’s dreams can have on them when they are set into motion.