The Central Voice

• Juniors and sophomores tie for second in Central Olympics

• Senior Alex Prunoske wins wrestling region, advances to state tournament

• Seniors win Central Olympics

McFarland: A true inspirational movie to watch

Two cross country runners take their break in between intervals.

Emily Berg, Staff Writer

McFarland, USA came racing into theaters February 20, 2015 with an inspiring true story about how a cross country coach in a small messed up town in California transforms a team of athletes into better championship contenders directed by Niki Caro.

McFarland, USA is about how kids that spend most of their lives working in fields with their parents to put food on the table struggle in their schooling and at home in their daily lives come together though a cross country team. It all starts with Coach Jim White who tries to coach football in the good for nothing city. He soon learns some of the boys were meant to be runners not football players.

Right off the bat the team struggled. Many of them wanted to quit and give up when they placed last in their first race, but their coach said, “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight. It’s the size of the fight of the dog.” Sophomore Ally Ivanov said, “I ran cross country freshman year so I can relate a little too how the runners struggled to power through even when they felt exhausted. The team comes together and starts to become better runners and better people with a bright future. Find out what happens and if they will become champions are not when you go see the movie.

McFarland, USA is based on a true story starring Kevin Coster, Ramiro Rodriguez, Carlos Pratts, Johnny Ortiz, Rafael Martinez, and many other actors and actresses. The story was brought to Walt Disney’s director’s attention in 2004 when they heard the story that took place in 1987. The movie is a solid 129 minutes long of inspiring film. Sophomore Ellen Beckert said, “I never once got bored or tired during the movie; it kept me smiling g the whole time.”

Miracle was also made by Disney who made McFarland. The movies can closely be related because both key in on the underdog teams and how they come together and win something so big bringing other groups of people together.

This movie is like every other sports movie with a happy ending and coming home with a championship. The special thing about McFarland, USA is that it is based on a true story so it can be very relatable with everyday struggles. The movie shows what a different type of life style is life instead of a picture perfect town. The movie is also not like you’re everyday football movie.

Check out McFarland, USA if you are looking for a movie that can change your outlook on life. Sophomore Laura Russell said “I think the main message of this movie is to not judge someone’s life style and to never underestimate the underdogs.”

1 Comment

One Response to “McFarland: A true inspirational movie to watch”

1. Aleah O'Keefe on January 11th, 2016 2:24 pm

I have never seen the movie, but this article really sells it and allows the reader to want to watch the movie. It talks about how inspiring the movie is, which, most people tend to like, so, it the article connects to the audience well.

[Reply]

All comments must adhere to the expectations set forth by the CCCHS handbook policy and are subject to authorization.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.